In the middle of moving, I realized that I have no problem finding a locality to purchase a bed and a couch. I’m not worried about finding the heavy stuff and not moving things like furniture. You know what essential item I am bringing with me: my books. I simply can’t live without my books. They go where I go.
My books are like memories. While closing one volume, I contemplate the period I was in at the time. I remember reading all of Dickens and then moving onto Hawthorne and not understanding what it meant to have a scarlet letter emblazoned on you. Fast-forward into the modern world and the streaming services that offer books, a classic becomes an instant hit.
We all know how some of the world’s most renowned authors didn’t make it big until long after their deaths. What they had to say did resonate at the time, but it wasn’t until long after they were gone that we as humans understand what they were trying to say about the current culture and conventions.
Take my favorite book Contact by Carl Sagan, and how a story really told the insider mind of science through narrative. That’s what science fiction gives us. It not only puts into reality modern science and understanding, it gives us characters that utilize these scientific tools
We’ve compiled a list of the bestselling science fiction books available on Audible.com right now. These books tell of real human people struggling and how technology is impacting their current life and how it is projecting the future.
- Artemis, by Andy Weir, Narrated by Rosario Dawson
- For We Are Many, by Dennis E. Taylor, Narrated by Ray Porter
- Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, Narrated by Wil Wheaton
- The Extinction Cycle Boxed Set, by Nicholas Sansbury Smith, Narrated by Bronson Pinchot
- The Collapsing Empire, by John Scalzi, Narrated by Martin Freeman
- Leviathan Wakes, by James S. A. Corey, Narrated by Jefferson Mays
- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglas Adams, Narrated by Martin Freeman
- The Land: Founding: A LitRPG Saga, by Aleron Kong, Narrated by Nick Podehl
- We Are Legion (We Are Bob), by Dennis E. Taylor, Narrated by Ray Porter
- 14, By Peter Clines, Narrated by Ray Porter
- Red Rising, by Pierce Brown, Narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds
- The Consuming Fire, by John Scalzi, Narrated by Wil Wheaton
This is the list of the current bestsellers on Audible. You can sample the list before you buy. A lot of these authors attend conventions. I like to purchase my book then talk to the author about it at a convention. I glean insight into the worlds they created and the characters they put to the page. Always remember that words and thoughts can and do often times live forever. People don’t. I have yet to meet a writer who managed to beat the ravages of time. Walt Disney even tried to do this and the technology has yet to catch up. He lives on through his work. He has yet to actually live on.
Good books live forever, good authors don’t. We live in a world where you can meet current authors and through services like Audible, they can reach the top of the list and become instant classics. We live in a world where words can become alive and be narrated by some of the best actors of our generation. Even better, everyone can enjoy listening to their favorite books as easily as plugging your headphones into your phone.